Afraid to wear black? There is probably one reason for that – dandruff! You are afraid that the flakes will show up in your shirt! That is sure to be humiliating! To prevent this from happening, use the best anti-dandruff shampoo for men and you will be confident to wear black!
Aside from just dealing with the visible flakes, the men’s shampoos mentioned in the rest of this post will also minimize itching, so you won’t have to scratch your head all the time! They can effectively address the root cause of the problem and prevent it from coming back!
Our Top Picks for the Best Anti-Dandruff Shampoo for Men
Fight the flakes with the shampoos that are mentioned above. They are specifically formulated with the needs of men in mind.
Krieger + Sohne Man Series Shampoo
Among others, the tea tree oil in this shampoo is one of the reasons why this is included in our list of the top-rated anti-dandruff men’s shampoo. It stimulates the scalp and prevents dryness. It has an invigorating formula specifically for active men. It relaxes, refreshes, and recharges the hair and the scalp with every application. The shampoo comes with a natural and organic base, so you do not have to worry about irritation. It is also good to know that the shampoo is never tested on animals.
Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo Original Formula
Tired of scratching your itchy scalp? Humiliated with the visible flakes on your shirt? Now is the time to give this shampoo a try. It has a therapeutic formula that is effective against chronic scalp psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis, which are known as some of the main causes of dandruff. One of the main ingredients in this shampoo is coal tar extract, which has been scientifically proven to work on the scalp even after the rinsing. It provides gentle scalp therapy, so you won’t have to worry about suffering from irritation.
Selsun Blue Medicated Dandruff Shampoo/Conditioner
For healthy and soft hair that is free of dandruff, this shampoo and conditioner combo is highly recommended. If your scalp is consistently itching, this will also offer the perfect solution. The effectiveness of this product can be attributed to having 1% selenium sulfide, which moisturizes the scalp and treats dandruff. There is also French honey, which is equally effective in providing hydration to the scalp. Plus, it also contains Vitamin B5 and hyaluronic acid, both of which are instrumental in maintaining a healthy scalp.
Jason Dandruff Relief Treatment Shampoo
A word of warning – this shampoo has a strong smell similar to the chemicals in a salon. This, however, should not be a problem given its effectiveness in dandruff relief. Its main ingredients are rosemary, olive, and jojoba oil. They are all great in moisturizing the scalp to get rid of dandruff. It is also free of sulfates, phthalates, and parabens, among other harsh ingredients that can irritate the hair and scalp.
Nizoral A-D Ketoconazole Shampoo
Nizoral is perhaps one of the most recognizable brands in the world of anti-dandruff shampoos, making it another great option to consider. It contains 1% ketoconazole, which can effectively provide relief from itching, scaling, and flaking. This ingredient directly kills the fungus that causes dandruff. Despite being powerful against dandruff, it is gentle on the scalp and the hair, making it possible to prevent irritation. The manufacturer recommends that the shampoo should be used twice in a week as a replacement to your regular shampoo. Even for men with color-treated hair, this shampoo is safe to use.
Suave Men 2-in-1 Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner
For itching and flaking associated with dandruff, this shampoo and conditioner is another product that can be promising in terms of the results it can deliver. The main ingredient that is responsible for its effectiveness is zinc pyrithione. The latter works to address dandruff without stripping the scalp and the hair of the natural oils. There is also no need to worry even if you have sensitive scalp as it has been proven to be gentle.
American Crew Anti-Dandruff Plus Sebum Control Shampoo
Restore the health of your hair and scalp with the use of this shampoo. Similar to most of the products that are mentioned in this post, it also comes with zinc pyrithione, which is the one that is responsible for the prevention of itchiness and flaking. If you have a dry and oily scalp, this can address the issue. More so, the formula also helps to strengthen the hair and to prevent further damage. If you have thin hair, this shampoo can also help as it has a volumizing benefit.
Kick Active Shampoo
The main ingredient that you can find in this shampoo is tea tree oil, which is gentle even on sensitive scalp. It has high-performance herbal extracts that are guaranteed to nourish the hair and scalp. It is also powerful as an anti-dandruff shampoo. Aside from tea tree oil, other main ingredients include peppermint, eucalyptus, aloe vera, and rosemary. These ingredients work together to make the hair fuller, stronger, and thicker, while also addressing the root causes of dandruff.
Dove Men+Care 2-in-1 Shampoo and Conditioner
This is a fortifying shampoo and conditioner made by a trusted brand, so you can be confident about its effectiveness. Aside from eliminating flakes and improvement of the health of the scalp, it can also thicken the hair and make it stronger. This is an ideal solution for hair loss as well. This can be attributed to the use of pyrithione zinc and caffeine. It also gives the hair a fresh and masculine scent that is sure to last throughout the day.
Head & Shoulders Old Spice 2-in-1 Anti Dandruff Shampoo
Formulated with the needs of men in mind, this shampoo and conditioner is made in collaboration with Old Spice. It has a manly fragrance that will give your head a fresh smell. It is recommended even by dermatologists, so you can be confident that it will indeed work against dandruff. It is also pH-balanced and will be gentle on the scalp. Even if your hair is color-treated, this product is safe to use. It also has the exclusive 3-action formula, which basically allows it to clean, protect, and moisturize.
Head & Shoulders 2-in-1 Advanced Series Charcoal
This is from the same brand as the anti-dandruff shampoo and conditioner that has been mentioned above, but they have different formulations and scent. One of the main differences between the two is that this one has a charcoal infusion. Charcoal is a revolutionary ingredient in terms of purifying and nourishing the scalp, making it easier to get rid of stubborn dandruff. It also comes with zinc pyrithione, which will prevent dandruff from coming back. Plus, there is a satisfaction guarantee! So, if you are unhappy with the use of the shampoo, you can get an unconditional refund!
Clean Men Scalp and Hair Deep Clean Hydration Shampoo
With the special formulation of this high-quality shampoo, it can effectively bring back moisture in the scalp, which will prevent it from being dry. One of the reasons for the effectiveness of this shampoo is the Bio-Nutrium 10, which makes use of active botanicals and nutrients that can nourish the scalp to target the root cause of dandruff. Some of the ingredients that are used in this shampoo include ginseng, tea tree oil, and natural mint. It is also clinically-proven to heal dry scalp, so no need to have hesitations about its effectiveness.
Pert Classic Clean Anti-Dandruff Shampoo and Conditioner
With the Classic Clean Scent, this shampoo will be effective in making your hair smell pleasant throughout the day even if you sweat. It is available in six formulas, making sure that there is one for every man regardless of your hair type. Best of all, the manufacturer offers a money-back guarantee if you are unhappy in any way with the results of using this shampoo. Guaranteed, your money won’t go to waste!
Why Are Your Prone to Dandruff?
Now that we have briefly reviewed some of the top products that are available on the market, let us have a look at some of the reasons why men suffer from dandruff:
- Irritated and Oily Scalp: If this is the case, the problem is technically called seborrheic dermatitis. This is characterized by the presence of red and greasy skin with yellow or white flakes as cover. Aside from the scalp, it can also affect other parts of the body, such as eyebrows and groin.
- Fungus: A yeast-like fungus can also be the culprit for your dandruff. To be specific, it is caused by Malassezia, which is found on the scalp. This causes skin cells to die and fall as flakes.
- Dry Skin: If you have a dry skin, you are likely to suffer from dandruff. There are several factors that can contribute to dry skin, such as the weather. If the dandruff is caused by dry skin, the flakes tend to be smaller and not oily.
- Using the Wrong Haircare Products: A lot of men are probably guilty of not paying attention to the shampoos and conditioners that they are using. They possibly contain harsh ingredients that can cause the scalp to be itchy and scaly.
Ingredients to Look for in an Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
As you try to narrow down the possibilities, one of the most important things to do is to look at the ingredients used, and it should include any of the following:
- Zinc Pyrithione: It is known as a powerful antifungal and antibacterial ingredient. It is effective in treating seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff caused by fungi.
- Coal Tar: Tar-based shampoos are great because they slow down the death of the skin cells, making it easy to get rid of the flakes falling off your scalp.
- Selenium Sulfide: Similar to coal tar, it also slows down the death of skin cells that can become flaky. However, take note that it can cause fading of color-treated hair.
- Salicylic Acid: This is a mild acid that can make the hair softer while also stripping away the dead skin cells on your scalp.
- Ketoconazole: It is a popular anti-fungal that is found in many anti-dandruff shampoos. Many of these shampoos are available only via prescription.
Other Ways to Deal with Dandruff
While it will help to use the shampoos that have been mentioned above, there are other things that can be equally effective when it comes to the prevention and treatment of dandruff, including those that are mentioned below:
- Aspirin: This might seem bizarre, but there is no harm in trying. Aspirin is a source of salicylate, which is the same active ingredient that you will find in many commercial anti-dandruff shampoos. Crush two tablets into a powder and add it to your regular shampoo.
- Natural Oils: A lot of anti-dandruff shampoos incorporate essential oils in their list of ingredients because of their effectiveness. They can also be used on their own. Almond, coconut, and olive oils are some of the best picks.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: As a natural astringent, applying apple cider vinegar to the hair will help to get rid of the fungi that cause dandruff. Combine two cups of water with two cups of apple cider vinegar and wash the hair. Make sure to rinse it thoroughly.
- Baking Soda: As an alternative to shampoo, you can use baking soda as a wash for the hair and scalp. You can apply it straight to the hair and rinse thoroughly.
At the end of the day, the most important is to have a holistic approach to managing dandruff. You need to tweak your lifestyle, including your diet. It is important to be meticulous about the haircare products that you are using. Sun exposure can also help, though too much of it can damage the hair and scalp.
Being flake-free is easier when you use the best anti-dandruff shampoos for men that have been mentioned above. They have an effective formula that targets the cause of the problem. Use these products and prevent the pesky flakes from showing!