Brad Pitt. David Beckham. Bradley Cooper. Hugh Jackman. Lebron James. Ben Affleck. Jason Momoa. Aside from the fact that they are all handsome, what is one more thing they share? They all have beards, or, at the very least, often sport a beard!
Want to have a beard like a true celebrity? Well, granted that you do not have their face, at least, you can tame your beard and make it look as good as theirs!
The secret? Beard balm!
The use of the best beard balm will make your facial hair tame and manageable! It is a must for your grooming routine.
Clueless about which one to buy? Keep on reading and we’ll let you know some of the top products to buy.
What are the Benefits of Using a Beard Balm?
Before we start, let us first have a quick rundown of some of the reasons why you should consider using a beard balm as a part of your grooming routine.
- Treats Beard Dandruff: Using beard balm will help to control the production of oil, which, in turn, will prevent beard dandruff. Beard dandruff can appear when the skin is too dry, which is why the added oil in the balm can help.
- Tames Beard: If you have a beard that seems to be pointing at different directions, a beard balm can help to make it more manageable. This will also help when it comes to beard styling.
- Prevents Itch: Often a consequence of dry skin and dandruff, beard balms are also formulated in such a way that they will lessen the likelihood of itchiness.
- Encourages Growth: Depending on the specific product that you will choose, there are some with ingredients that can be effective in stimulating the hair follicles to encourage longer and thicker beard.
Our Top Picks for the Best Beard Balm
Gentlemen, look at your best and impress the ladies with a well-managed beard! To do so, below are some of the products that you might want to consider for a top-rated beard balm.
Honest Amish Beard Balm Leave-in Conditioner
This hand-crafted beard balm promises to deliver softer beard right after every application. It is a hybrid between a balm and a conditioner, allowing you to enjoy the best of both worlds. The balm has an all-natural formula, including oils and butters that have been proven to make the beard look better. Plus, you will also love how it is packaged in a 100% recyclable tin. If you have allergies, however, we recommend that you avoid using this product. To be sure, test it out in a small area of the skin first.
Viking Revolution Beard Balm
If you have been suffering from an itchy and scratchy beard, this balm is sure to offer the perfect solution. It contains 100% natural sandalwood, which is also the one that is responsible for the manly scent. Aside from sandalwood, it uses other natural materials, which include beeswax, mango butter, jojoba oil, and argan oil. They are known for their moisturizing properties, not only for the beard but also for the skin. Applying only a pea size of this balm can yield significant benefits, especially for those who have beard dandruff.
Grave Before Shave Cigar Blend Beard Balm
The manufacturer claims that they use only the finest oils and butters available to create an exceptional beard balm. It can provide deep conditioning to make your beard easier to manage. It also penetrates the skin to manage itchiness and dryness, among other problems. It also doubles as a leave-in conditioner, allowing it to effectively soften your beard. More than the effectiveness in taming your facial hair, a lot of its users also had good words to share about the aroma, which has a hint of cigar and vanilla.
Smooth Viking Beard Balm
This product has been formulated to make it easier to style your beard. It makes the beard soft upon application and has a superior hold to maintain the style that is desired throughout the day. You won’t have to complain that it gets sticky or greasy, even during a hot day. It can also help to thicken your beard without the need to wait for a long time. Some of the main ingredients that are utilized in this beard balm include avocado oil, sweet almond oil, safflower oil, argan oil, and pumpkin seed oil.
Prophet and Tools Premium Beard Balm
A 2-in-1 beard grooming product, this can function both as a balm and as a wax. If you have fuzzy beards, this is the perfect way to have it controlled and make it easier to manage. According to many of its users, the benefits can be apparent immediately after the first application. It softens and conditions the beard to make it softer. It is also great in terms of value for money since one tin can already be good for up to two years! If you do not achieve the desired results, no need to worry as the manufacturer can extend a refund.
Rocky Mountain Barber Company Beard Balm
Even if you have sensitive skin, there is no need to worry as it is formulated using all-natural ingredients. It has eight essential oils, which work altogether to moisturize not only the beard but also the skin. It has vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can promote healthy growth of your beard while also being effective in fighting itchiness. With the cedarwood scent, meanwhile, it comes with a subtle and manly smell that is never overpowering. The manufacturer also takes pride over the fact that their balms are crafted in small batches to ensure the highest possible quality.
Mountaineer Magic Beard Balm
Want to have a beard that appears nourished all day? This product may work for you! Whether you have a short or long beard, this will be effective in making your facial hair more manageable. It also conditions your beard and repairs damage. It is handmade and uses only the finest natural ingredients that are available, which include eucalyptus, cedarwood, and fir needle. It has a woodsy scent, but it does not overpower. There are only three base ingredients, so you can have an assurance that there are no toxic chemicals that are found in this product.
Scotch Porter All-Natural Beard Balm
Stop the itch and grow your best beard – this is what the manufacturer promises to the users of this balm. Like most of the products that we have listed in this post, it is also made using 100% natural ingredients. It is infused with botanicals that are proven to nourish your facial hair and skin. Some of the main ingredients that are utilized in this beard balm include slippery elm bark, marshmallow root, shea butter, nettle leaf, agave nectar, and aloe leaf, among others.
Urban Prince Beard Balm
Regardless of the problem that you have in your beard, this is one of the most promising products that should be on your radar. It has jojoba oil and argan oil, which are two ingredients that are known for making the beard thicker. Meanwhile, with shea butter and olive oil, you will be able to get rid of the dreaded beard dandruff. It also contains Vitamin E, beeswax, and coconut oil, which are all effective in providing moisture and hydration to the skin.
Reuzel Beard Balm
If you are looking for a beard balm that can provide extreme hold throughout the day without shine, this is one of the best. It can also add volume to make your facial hair look fuller. Meanwhile, with the essential oils, it makes it soft and easy to style, regardless of the way you want it to look like. The scent, however, can be a drawback for some people. Its users noted that its smell is not as good as its more popular counterparts, but it is not a thing that will make you puke.
What is a Beard Balm Made Of?
This is one thing that will be different from one brand to another. Often, however, there are four main components that are present:
- Carrier Oil: This is the core of the beard balm and responsible for most of the benefits. They provide the nutrient and hydration that is needed by the skin. Jojoba is one of the most popular carrier oils used, which has properties that are similar to the natural oils that are produced by the skin.
- Essential Oil: It is a concentrated oil and diluted with a carrier oil. Often, they are the ones that are responsible for the distinct scent in the beard balm. Pine, sandalwood, and cedar oils are some of the most popular, which are known for their masculine scent.
- Butters: The main function of this ingredient is to help ensure that the beard balm will be easy to spread. They can be either shea or cocoa butter, not the kind of butter that you probably keep in the fridge. They also add a subtle fragrance to the beard balm.
- Beeswax: It is the one that allows the beard balm to have decent hold, which will come useful when it comes to styling your beard. This is also an effective protectant from the external elements that can damage the skin. Plus, it can also effectively lock moisture to keep the skin and beard hydrated throughout the day.
How to Use Beard Balm
To fully yield the benefits of using a beard balm, it is important that you apply it the right way. To do this, below are the simple steps that you have to follow:
- First, you have to take a shower or wash your beard to make sure that there is no dirt or grime.
- Open the beard balm and scoop a dime-sized. Do not overdo it since a little amount can already go a long way. This is one of the most important things to remember since when you use too much beard balm, there is a risk that your beard will appear oily, greasy, or shiny.
- Rub the balm in between your fingers.
- Massage your fingers into the beard. Start from the neck and move all the way up the chin. After this, work on the side. Make sure that you apply gentle massaging strokes while applying the beard balm, which will help improve absorption. See to it that you will be running the fingers on the roots and press directly on the skin to improve absorption.
- Once you are done with its application, comb or brush your beard. This time, you have to do it in a downward motion. This can help in detangling your facial hair.
Beard Balm vs Beard Oil: What is the Difference?
While these two products will be both essential for grooming and beard maintenance, they are different from each other. The most obvious difference between the two is that oil is in liquid form, while balm is in a soft solid form.
In terms of absorption, the two are also different, which can be attributed to their form. Because oil is in liquid form, it just makes sense that it can be quicker for the skin to absorb when compared to beard balm.
Both beard oils and beard balms contain essential oils and carrier oils. However, beard balm has butters and beeswax, which is the one that is responsible for making it solid.
The good thing is that there is no need to make a choice between the two. You can use both to have a well-maintained beard. After showering or washing your beard, you have to apply the beard oil first. The beard balm should be last because it also functions as a leave-in conditioner.
Tame your mane! To do this, consider using one of the beard balms that have been listed above, which will make your facial hair more manageable. This is an important part of beard care to combat the effects of the external environment, including pollution.