10 Best Black Hair Dyes: Reviews
mamiesskincare.com is reader-supported. If you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission
I am a hair dye expert. I have spent years trying out different colors and brands, and I have found these 10 best black hair dyes for your needs.
You should never just choose any product without doing some research first. There are all sorts of products that promise to give you healthy, radiant locks but in reality, only damage your hair. That’s why I am here – to make sure you get the perfect black hair color! I have done all the research for you, so, you don’t have to worry about it.
10 Best Black Hair Dye Products
1. Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme Black
Hair color is a big commitment. It can be expensive and time-consuming, and you have to sit through the process of waiting for your hair to develop the right shade of black.
Wouldn’t it be nice if there was an easier way? A way that was less expensive than traditional hair color, but still allowed you to achieve salon-quality results in just one step? Well, now there is! Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color gives you beautiful black hair without all the hassle or risk of any damage.
Its unique formula uses triple fruit oils (avocado oil, olive oil & shea butter) along with rich emollients so you get full coverage in just one application! The rich black color lasts up to eight weeks.
With this hair dye, getting gorgeous dark hair color has never been easier!
- Permanent dye with intense, deep, and vibrant tones
- Triple fruit oil blend protects hair from damage while nourishing locks
- Offers 100% gray hair coverage
- The rich, non-drip creme based formula nourishes the scalp while coloring your hair
- Not for sensitive skin
2. L'Oreal Paris Feria Multi-Faceted Shimmering Permanent Hair Color, Natural Black
With 50+ Shades
Do you want to update your look, but don’t have time for a salon visit?
L’Oreal Paris Feria Color is one of the top-selling permanent hair color brands in salons and spas. The superior formula of this hair color is designed with advanced technology that delivers long-lasting, fade-defying color. It also offers superior gray coverage with Excellence Crème.
With 50 plus shades of bold colors ranging from the deepest shade of black to platinum blonde and smoky silver hair dye, Feria gives you the freedom to express yourself through fashion-forward styles while remaining true to yourself.
No salon appointment needed! Just choose from among the black shades and welcome the gorgeous new you, with this at-home hair color.
- Transform hair color from blah to bold and beautiful
- Customizable dye shades fit for any hair type and skin tone
- No need for a salon visit with Feria’s easy DIY applications
- End the search for your perfect shade with 50+ colors that meet every expectation
- Does not contain shampoo + conditioner
3. Adore Creative Image, Jet Black
It can be really stressful and time-consuming to dye your hair at home. There are so many things that could go wrong, from having the wrong tools to not being sure of what you’re doing.
Adore semi-permanent color comes with a nondrip formula which is great for beginners. It comes in hassle-free packaging and is ideal for you who want an easy-to-use product.
This product comes in various colors and is suitable for you if you like to mix colors.
This hair color won’t harm your hair as it is ammonia-free, peroxide-free, and parabens-free. It covers gray hairs, gently. It is one of the best hair dyes that contain conditioning elements as well.
- Easy to use for Beginners
- Non-drip semi-permanent formula
- Suitable for Mixing Colors
- Safe to Use
- Affordable price
- Smaller bottle size
4. Schwarzkopf Color Ultime Hair Color Cream, Black Sapphire
Adds Shine To Your Hair
You want to add a little color to your hair, but you don’t have the time or money for an expensive salon visit.
We understand that finding quality products at a great price can be hard these days.
Schwarzkopf Color Ultime is the perfect solution for busy women who need salon-quality results quickly at home!
This formula provides intense, vibrant color with a diamond-like shine. It is fade-resistant and lasts up to 10 weeks!
It is also affordable so you can enjoy beautiful hair without breaking the bank!
It comes with a complete kit that includes tube color cream, application bottle with developer lotion, tube conditioning treatment, pair of gloves, and instruction leaflet.
- The color lasts up to 10 weeks
- Color is wash-resistant and fade-resistant
- Protects your hair with conditioning treatment included in the box.
- Diamond Shine guaranteed for all users!
- Easy to use
- Works with all hair types
- It is a complete kit
- Contains ammonia
5. John Frieda Precision Foam Color, Blue Black
Complete Hair Dyeing Kit
Dyeing your hair at home and getting the color to come out as you want can be hard.
A lot of people give up on dyeing their hair because they’re afraid of messing it up and having to live with unwanted tones for months.
This Color by John Frieda was designed by a professional stylist so that even beginners could get salon-quality results in the comfort of their own homes, without risking damaging their hair!
They use only premium quality nourishing ingredients that are gentle on all types of natural hair including gray ones, and they’ve created an application process that’s as simple as blowdrying your hair!
This color has blue undertones. This product will not damage your scalp or cause any allergic reactions. You’ll love how easily this product colors every strand while leaving no residue behind – just a healthy-looking shine!
This black hair color lasts up to eight weeks. The hair color kit includes color, developer, after-color conditioner, foamer, gloves, and easy-to-read instructions.
- Very easy to use for a hassle-free coloring experience
- It has a high hair penetration formula for longer color retention
- Dyes your gray hair without leaving residue or dripping
- Doesn’t stain clothes and surfaces
- Comes with a complete hair dyeing kit
- Great for root touch-ups
- Non-drip formula
- It may require two applications if you want a darker blue-black shade
6. Punky Ebony Semi-Permanent Conditioning Hair Color
While many hair dyes are permanent, they can damage your hair and scalp. Semi-permanent hair dye is a great option for those who want to change their look without damaging their locks.
Punky Ebony semi-permanent conditioning hair dye is easy to apply and will leave you with shiny and healthy-looking locks!
This non-damaging formula gives you shiny and soft hair with zero commitments! Switch up your hairstyle now and get outrageous molten, raven black hair dye!
It doesn’t contain peroxide, so, it is completely safe and suitable for all hair types.
It is easy to use, just use a brush to apply the color evenly on hair strands from roots to ends then comb through and leave it for 15-30 minutes and then rinse out.
- Lasts up to 35 shampoos
- No Ammonia
- 100% Vegan dye
- Smaller jar size
- Stains any surface it touches
7. Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Coverage Hair Color
Powered With Triple Fruit Oils
Gray hair is a problem for many people. It can make you look older.
The good news is that there are now several options for dealing with gray hair, including this color by Garnier.
If you want a quick solution to covering up grays, this product provides fast results. Plus, unlike some other products on the market today, this dye does not contain ammonia so it won’t dry out your hair as it covers those pesky grays!
It is infused with the power of avocado, olive, and shea oils and comes with a complete hair dye kit.
- Nutritious and moisturizing formula
- Easy to use, non-drip cream formula
- Rich permanent hair dye that goes far with just one application
- No ammonia formula
- Gives a 100% gray hair coverage
- Powered with triple fruit oils
- Made with 60% natural oils
Not for sensitive skin
8. L'Oreal Paris Superior Preference Fade-Defying + Shine Permanent Hair Color
We all want to look our best, but it’s hard to maintain a gorgeous look when the hair color fades.
Hair color on the market today makes it easy to cover gray and add highlights, but most dyes fade quickly or don’t provide long-lasting results.
L’Oreal Paris Superior Preference Hair Color is designed with care by scientists who understand that hair color fading is an issue that affects everyone from everyday people like you and me to celebrities in Hollywood.
This permanent hair coloring formula has been proven effective because it contains high-quality ingredients that will protect your locks against fading while adding shine. This product comes in 50 shades and it is one of the top-selling products since 1973.
It contains golden camelina oil, antioxidants like vitamin E and, a UV filter.
- Fade-defying permanent black hair dye
- Brighten up dull or gray hair
- Beautiful shade selection
- The formula contains a UV filter
- Suitable for all hair types
- Non-drip gel formula
- Not for sensitive skin
- Consistency can be improved
9. Manic Panic Raven Black Hair Dye Classic
Dyeing your hair is a stressful process. It’s expensive, time-consuming and you’re often left with an unnatural shade of color that doesn’t look good on you.
Manic Panic is the answer to this problem because it lets you dye your hair any color without having to go through all the risk of damaging your hair.
If you want to change up your style but don’t have time for salon appointments or if you just want something fun then check out this product.
This product is vegan, cruelty-free, and made in the USA and it is made with natural ingredients.
It does not contain Ammonia, Paraben, Gluten, Resorcinol, Phthalate.
- Peta Accredited
- 49+ shades
- With conditioners
- Natural Hair Color
- No Hair Damage
- Needs pre-lightened hair
- You may need 2 jars if you have long hair
10. Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color Permanent Hair Color
With 3D Color Gel Technology
Hair color that looks natural and beautiful is hard to find.
The problem is that most hair dyes are full of harmful chemicals and ammonia, which can damage your hair.
Revlon’s 3D Color Gel Technology delivers a natural black, rich, multidimensional color with a shine that is long-lasting and does not contain ammonia.
You can have a more youthful appearance in just one application! Plus it has a 100% gray coverage formula that helps you cover your greys without making them look too unnatural or fake.
It comes in 41 natural-looking shades of gorgeous colors so you can select the perfect shade for you!
- Convenient hair color kit
- Keratin-enriched for increased conditioning benefits
- Provides full gray coverage with 3D Color Gel Technology
- Gentle on hair
- 41 shades of natural-looking colors
- Gives natural look
- It may not be the best product for people with allergies
We hope you’ve found this list of the best black hair dyes to be helpful. We have narrowed down our favorites and listed them above in order of preference. Have you tried any of these? What did you think? Let us know!