There are over 125 million people over the world who are suffering from psoriasis, an autoimmune disease that leads to itchiness and inflammation of the skin. It is not only unsightly, but it is also painful. While there is no known cure for this condition, there are several at-home treatments that can be effective in easing the symptoms. Among others, one of the most promising is the use of the best body wash for psoriasis.
Showers and baths will help to soften and hydrate the patches of skin that become flaky and thick because of psoriasis. However, water alone will not be enough. To enjoy the best outcomes, you need to find the right body wash, including those that will be briefly mentioned in the rest of this post. Keep on reading and learn from the valuable insights that we will be sharing.
Our Top Picks for the Best Body Wash for Psoriasis
Say goodbye to the most common adverse effects of psoriasis by using the products that will be quickly reviewed below.
Aveeno Active Naturals Daily Moisturizing Body Wash
This is a moisturizing body wash that uses natural oils and emollients, which are effective for providing psoriasis relief. It has a gentle formulation, which makes it great even for people with sensitive skin. The moisturizer also contains oatmeal proteins and lipids to help hydrate the skin. It will preserve the natural moisture of the skin to prevent it from drying and flaking, which are commonly experienced by people who have psoriasis. It is also worth noting that it soap-free and dye-free. This moisturizer is also hypoallergenic. Lastly, with its creamy formula, it can make the skin a lot softer.
Wild Naturals Eczema & Psoriasis Body Wash
This is specially formulated for eczema and psoriasis, which makes it another excellent choice you might want to consider. It has a pH level of 5.5, which is perfectly balanced and safe for the skin. It is highly-concentrated using premium ingredients and does not contain water, providing an assurance of its purity. Among others, one of the key ingredients is manuka, which is dubbed as a healing honey. It is sourced only from New Zealand and has anti-bacterial properties. The body wash also contains organic aloe vera to make the skin smoother. Meanwhile, it also comes with Vitamin E for improved skin health.
Cetaphil Restoraderm Gentle Body Moisturizer
While the label says that it is an eczema-calming body moisturizer, it will also be excellent for people who have psoriasis. It provides a protective barrier to the skin to reduce flare-ups and will also improve the responsiveness of the skin to therapies. It will also work by hydrating the skin in every wash. It contains ceramides and will work for dry and sensitive skin. There is also no need to worry about skin irritation as it does not contain harsh chemicals, parabens, and fragrances, among other ingredients that you have to avoid.
Eucerin Skin Calming Body Wash
Enriched with natural omega oils, this is another body wash that should be included on your list if you are on the lookout for an effective relief from psoriasis. It cleanses and calms the skin while also preventing dryness and itchiness. It also contains natural lipids that will be effective for moisturizing the skin. It is also free of fragrances, dye, and soap, which will make it safe for all skin types. It is also dermatologist-recommended, so you can be confident that it will indeed work.
Tree to Tub Soapberry for Body
It is formulated with the use of natural and wild ingredients that will leave the skin feeling fresh and smooth without the need to worry about harsh chemicals and toxic ingredients. It has organic healing botanicals that can nourish and moisturize the skin. Some of the main ingredients that are used in this body wash include shea butter, chamomile, cucumber, and aloe vera. It does not contain artificial fragrances and synthetic dyes. If you do not love this body wash, the manufacturer promises to refund every last cent that you have paid for.
Dove DermaSeries Gentle Cleansing Body Wash
This body wash is created specifically to provide relief from dry skin, which is exactly the reason why it will be great for addressing psoriasis. This body wash contains skin-natural lipids, glycerin, and plant oils, among other ingredients. It is soap-free and fragrance-free. Even if you have sensitive skin, this will also work as it comes with a hypoallergenic formulation. Compared to a regular body wash, it is 10 times more moisturizing. It is also recommended by dermatologists, which is proof that it can deliver effective results.
Aleavia Lavender Body Cleanse
The plant-based ingredients in this body wash allow it to provide relief not only from psoriasis but also from eczema and skin allergies. It stimulates skin-friendly bacteria to prevent dryness and itchiness, among other problems that are related to psoriasis. It contains lavender, coconut oil, aloe vera, and essential oils that will make you feel like you are in a spa when using this body wash. Because of the all-natural ingredients, it can make your skin healthy, smooth, and glowing. Best of all, within 30 days of use, if you are unhappy with the product, you can return it and you will be issued an unconditional refund.
Defense Soap Tea Tree Oil Body Wash
This body wash contains 100% natural tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil, which are the two main ingredients that make it effective against psoriasis. It has a clinically-proven formulation that also works against nail fungus, jock itch, acne, and body odor, among others. It is 100% organic, non-GMO, and vegan. There is no sodium lauryl sulfate, triclosan, synthetic fragrances, preservatives, and chemicals. It also removes dead skin cells and controls the production of sebum. It restores the natural protective barriers of the skin to prevent the common symptoms of psoriasis.
SkyOrganics 100% Pure African Black Soap Moisturizing Body Wash
If you are suffering from psoriasis, this is another product that can provide relief from your skin problems. It is an authentic liquid black soap all the way from Ghana, which contains carefully-selected ingredients for hydrating the skin. It is dubbed as a miracle cleanser as it is effective not only for psoriasis, but also for acne, eczema, and dermatitis, among others. Some of the main ingredients that are used in this body wash include organic shea butter and virgin coconut oil. To provide you with peace of mind, if you are unhappy within 30 days of use, the manufacturer will issue an unconditional refund.
Home Health Psoriasis Medicated Scalp and Body Wash
Containing 2% salicylic acid, this is a medicated body wash that is specially formulated to provide relief from psoriasis. The main ingredients include carrot juice, aloe vera, jojoba oil, herbal extracts, and allantoin. They work together to address itchiness, redness, irritation, and scaling, which are all common symptoms of psoriasis. If you have dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis, this product can also be effective. It does not contain preservatives and artificial colors, making it safe to use even if you have sensitive skin.
Things to Know About Psoriasis
Psoriasis is a chronic autoimmune disease that causes the skin to be itchy, red, flaky, and dry. When you have psoriasis, your body is unable to differentiate between healthy cells and foreign bodies. Because of this, your own organs and cells will be attacked.
It should also be noted that psoriasis is not contagious. Do not be afraid to go near a person who has psoriasis. You won’t get psoriasis just by shaking the hands or touching a person. Your genetics can be one of the main causes of psoriasis. If you have immediate family members who have psoriasis, there is a big chance that you will also have psoriasis.
Aside from paying attention to the symptoms, there are also physical tests that can be performed to diagnose psoriasis. Doctors can also perform a biopsy, a medical test wherein a sample of the skin is taken and examined under a microscope.
There are also certain factors that can trigger psoriasis. One of the triggers is stress. Unusually high levels of stress can increase the flare-ups. Heavy alcohol consumption is also one of the triggers. Injury, medication, and infection are other triggers of psoriasis.
While there is no cure for psoriasis, there are various treatment options that can help reduce the symptoms. One thing that you can do is to use the body washes that have been mentioned in this post, which can hydrate and moisturize the skin. There are also creams and ointments that can help. Exposure to sunlight will also help to kill the cells that are causing psoriasis. Light therapy will also be effective. Medications, including retinoids, cyclosporine, methotrexate, and biologics are also helpful.
Types of Psoriasis
There are different types of psoriasis, which include the following:
- Plaque Psoriasis: This is the most common type of psoriasis, which is experienced by eight out of ten people. Also called psoriasis vulgaris, it causes dry patches of skin on the scalp, lower back, knees, and elbows. More often than not, the patches will have a width of one to ten centimeters.
- Guttate Psoriasis: This constitutes to 2% of the cases of psoriasis and can start as early as the childhood years. It causes pink-red spots on the skin, specifically on the upper arms, scalp, thighs, and trunk.
- Inverse Psoriasis: It causes bright-red and smooth patches of skin on the groin, armpits, buttocks, genitals, and under the breasts. This condition can worsen because of the sweating or rubbing of the skin.
- Pustular Psoriasis: This is a severe type of psoriasis and is characterized by the appearance of white pustules around red spots on the skin. This can also lead to rapid pulse, chills, fever, loss of appetite, and muscle weakness.
- Psoriatic Arthritis: It is a condition experienced by up to 1/3 of people who have psoriasis. It will limit your physical capacity as it can lead to extreme pain. This can also cause sausage-like swelling on the toes and fingers.
- Nail Psoriasis: As the name implies, this is a type of psoriasis that affects the nails. Some of the main symptoms include tender and painful nails, nail color changes, separation of nails from the skin, and having chalk-like material under the skin.
- Erythrodermic Arthritis: This is the least common of all the types of psoriasis. The skin will appear as if it has been burned. As it is severe, it can also lead to congestive heart failure and pneumonia.
Other Skin Care Tips for Psoriasis
While it will indeed be helpful if you use a body wash for psoriasis, there are other things that you can do to take care of your skin, including the following:
- Having a warm bath is one thing that can help. It will be good to soak in warm water for about 15 minutes. It can be more effective if you add Epsom salt or essential oils that can soothe the skin.
- Moisturizing the skin will also work. Aside from using a body wash that is specifically formulated for psoriasis, you can also use ointments and lotions that can lock moisture in the skin.
- Do not be afraid of the heat of the sun. Natural sunlight is actually one of the most effective ways of relieving the common symptoms of psoriasis. This can help to slow down the growth of the cells that can cause psoriasis.
- Although it might be tempting to scratch and pick the skin when it is itchy, do not do it. This can only worsen the situation. Frequent scratching of the skin may make it look sore. It can also lead to infection.
Even with the advanced medical technologies that are now available, there is still no known treatment for psoriasis, a condition that makes the skin look unattractive, making some people lose confidence. Nonetheless, with the use of the body washes that have been mentioned in this post, you can enjoy relief from the most common symptoms of psoriasis, including itchy, dry, and flaky skin.