If you have psoriasis, you will surely agree with me when I say that it is a frustrating condition! This is even made worse by the fact that there is no permanent cure for this autoimmune disease. Nonetheless, there are some treatment options that will work to be able to tame down the symptoms and improve your quality of life. Among others, one that you might want to consider is the use of the best lotion for psoriasis.
A thick and non-greasy lotion, when applied, will soothe the dry patches of skin. This can minimize scaling and make it appear less unsightly. It can hydrate and moisturize the skin. Make sure that it is free of harsh chemicals that can cause irritation. If you are clueless on which one will make the best pick, read on and we’ll share with you some of the top options worth considering.
Our Top Picks for the Best Psoriasis Lotion
Here are some of the top products that are worth looking at, as well as some of the benefits that you can enjoy from using them.
#1. Thena Natural Wellness Healing Cream
This is a therapeutic lotion that promises to be effective in dealing with cracked and irritated skin. If you have psoriasis, this will work for you. It has a special formulation that promises to soothe dryness and to soften the skin as well. It restores the moisture of the skin. The lotion can also be easily and quickly absorbed by the skin without causing the pores to clog. Nonetheless, take note that there are ingredients that can cause irritation to people with sensitive skin. Test the product on a small part of the skin to be sure.
#2. Oxipor Psoriasis Lotion
If you are suffering from itchy and scaly skin, which are some of the most common symptoms of psoriasis, this is one lotion that will work for you. It will slow down the growth of new skin cells that cause the thick appearance of scales on the surface of the skin. Many of the users of this lotion were happy with how it is non-greasy, yet it is thick enough to cover the skin. Even when you use the lotion during a hot day, chances are, you won’t end up feeling sticky.
#3. Shea Moisture African Black Soap Eczema and Psoriasis Therapy Lotion
Even if you have sensitive skin, this lotion will be your savior. It calms and clears the skin with the use of natural and gentle ingredients, making sure that your skin won’t end up suffering from irritation. It has African black soap and shea butter, among other ingredients that will be effective in making the skin look better despite suffering from psoriasis. It also contains Vitamin E and aloe, which are known for moisturizing the skin. Lastly, it should also be noted that it does not contain parabens and sodium-lauryl-sulfate, among other toxic ingredients.
#4. Gloves in a Bottle Shielding Lotion
This lotion comes in a bottle with a pump, which will make its application easy. It is also grease-free and fragrance-free. As a shielding lotion, it does not only provide relief from the symptoms of psoriasis, but it also provides a protective barrier that will prevent the skin from absorbing toxic chemicals that are found in soaps, body washes, and other skincare products. Through this shield, the skin is also protected from losing its natural moisture. In the long-term, your skin will be more hydrated compared to how it will be when you are using a regular lotion.
#5. Wellness Prioritized Body Lotion
This is a 100% vegan body lotion, which sets it apart from the other products that are listed on this buying guide. Some of the main ingredients that are used include hemp seed oil and mango seed butter. It does not contain artificial fragrances, alcohol, phthalates, parabens, and sulfates, among other ingredients that can be harsh for those with sensitive skin. It contains natural antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that can nourish the skin to prevent the symptoms of psoriasis. Plus, the manufacturer offers 100% satisfaction guarantee, so you can purchase this product risk-free.
#6. Lubriderm Daily Moisture Lotion
Made by one of the most popular lotion brands on the market, you can be confident that this lotion will be true to its promise of providing moisture for the skin, which is exactly what you will need if you have psoriasis. It is not only recommended by dermatologists, but it is also clinically-proven to moisturize the skin for up to 24 hours. It is also 100% free of fragrances, lanolin, and dye, providing an assurance that there are no harsh ingredients that can irritate the skin. You will also love how it is non-greasy, making you feel comfortable throughout the day.
#7. Truly Pure Natural Organic Skin Lotion
Not only for psoriasis, this is an excellent lotion for other skin conditions, which include eczema, dermatitis, and rosacea. The effectiveness of this lotion can be attributed to the powerful ingredients used with superb skin healing benefits. These ingredients include aloe vera, coconut oil, and shea butter. They are known for its natural ability to moisturize the skin while also making it softer. They provide relief from dryness and itching, making it great for psoriasis. The ingredients are medical-grade and there are no chemical additives that you can find in this product.
#8. Curel Rough Skin Rescue Lotion
This lotion has a clinically-proven benefit of loosening the flakes and providing relief from roughness. Therefore, if you have psoriasis, you will greatly benefit from using this product. It improves the natural exfoliation process of the skin, revealing a healthier layer. This can be attributed to the several ingredients that are used, including olive oil and fruit extracts. If you have a sensitive sense of smell, you will also love how this lotion is fragrance-free.
#9. Tumerica Unscented Hand and Body Lotion
For the natural glow of the skin to be restored and to improve its moisture, this is another lotion that you should include on your list. The effectiveness of this lotion against psoriasis is a result of the use of 100% pure turmeric extracts. It has a natural ingredient that can calm the skin and prevent harsh effects. It has a thick formula, yet it won’t feel greasy, making it perfect for all-day wear. It is also fragrance-free.
#10. Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion
Cetaphil is a brand that is popular for its gentle cleansers. This body lotion once again proves that the company is a global leader. Formulated for all skin types, the lotion has a non-greasy formulation and great not only for psoriasis, but it will also be effective for the treatment of eczema, rosacea, acne, and other skin conditions. It is formulated specifically to restore the moisture of the skin, preventing it from extreme dryness. It contains Vitamin E and six ingredients that are responsible for moisturizing the skin.
Different Types of Lotions for Psoriasis
As you try to evaluate the options that are available, you will notice that the lotions are available in different types. To help you out, here are some of the types that you will find and a few things you have to know about each of them.
- Salicylic Acid: This is the main ingredient that is basically responsible for the prevention of the scaly patches that appear when you have psoriasis. This is often used with medicated creams because it improves the absorption rate.
- Corticosteroids: Creams and lotions with steroids will help in dealing with inflammation and swelling of the skin patches. They are formulated with different strengths, which will prevent the possibility of irritation for people who have sensitive skin.
- Moisturizers: A lot of lotions are labeled as moisturizers. They contain ingredients like aloe vera, jojoba oil, salicylic acid, capsaicin, and zinc pyrithione, These are going to help in restoring the natural moisture of the skin.
- Coal Tar: A lotion that contains coal tar as the main ingredient is another promising option when it comes to psoriasis relief. Coal tar helps in slowing down the growth of new skin cells. It can be harsh for people with sensitive skin.
- Vitamin D: Exposure to the sun can help people with psoriasis. The sun provides the skin with Vitamin D. You can also use a lotion using Vitamin D as an ingredient. When applied topically, it can ease the symptoms of psoriasis.
Choosing the Best Lotion for Psoriasis
To become a well-informed buyer, here are some of the things that you need to take into consideration as you decide which is the best lotion to buy:
- Severity of the Condition: The right lotion of choice will depend on how severe your case of psoriasis is. In the case of mild psoriasis, many lotions that are formulated for dry and itchy skin can work. If it is severe, you might need a lotion with a high concentration of certain active ingredients.
- Skin Type: Similar to buying a regular lotion, your skin type will also dictate which lotion will be best for dealing with psoriasis. This is often indicated in the label. For instance, if you have sensitive skin, look for one that contains all-natural ingredients to avoid irritation. Other lotions can be specially formulated for dry and normal skin.
- Ingredients: Your safety should be the main concern when searching for a psoriasis lotion. With this, look at the list of ingredients and do your research. It will be good if it has natural and organic ingredients. The ingredients must also be effective in addressing itchiness, dryness, and scaling, among other common things that happen to the skin when you have psoriasis.
- Greasiness: Ideally, you need to find a lotion with a non-greasy formulation. Otherwise, the lotion will feel sticky, especially during a hot day.
- Thickness: While the lotion should be non-greasy, it should also be thick. If it is thick, it could easily penetrate through the dry patches or the scales on the skin. The lotion should not contain a lot of water for it to be effective against psoriasis.
- Absorption: The right lotion should be absorbed by the skin quickly, which also means that you could immediately see or feel the results of its use.
Other Ways of Removing Dead Skin Cells from Psoriasis
While using a top-notch lotion can make a difference when it comes to psoriasis relief, the reality is that it is never enough. That being said, here are alternative ways by which it will be possible for you to get rid of dead skin cells or rough patches:
- One of the things that you should keep in mind is to not scratch it every now and then. This can be hard to resist, especially when the skin is itching. However, this will only worsen the situation and can result in skin irritation.
- You can also use an ointment that contains salicylic acid. This is an active ingredient that can be effective in softening the thick patches and scales on the surface of the skin. If you have a severe case of psoriasis, you might want to do this twice per day.
- You will also benefit from using an exfoliating acid. This will work by making the bonds between the skin cells weaker, effectively softening and removing the new scales. For the exfoliating acid to be effective, look for one that contains salicylic and alpha-hydroxy acid.
- Soaking in the bathtub is another excellent way to get rid of dead skin cells caused by psoriasis. Water will make the dead skin cells softer. It is important to soak only in lukewarm water. Adding Epson salt will also help to soften the dead skin cells. A nail file or pumice stone will also help if the scales are thick.
The right lotion can be effective in making it easier to deal with life when you have psoriasis. Nonetheless, as noted, not all lotions will work the same. Take a look at their ingredients and gather feedback from other people. Keep an eye on the products that have been mentioned above, and for sure, they will help in managing your skin condition.