It is easy to ruin a tattoo if you do not take care of it. That being said, you should invest in the best tattoo aftercare products, including those that will be mentioned in the rest of this post. They are helpful for cleansing, healing, and moisturizing, which will be essential in preventing infection and making sure that the ink lasts longer.
Our Top Picks for the Best Tattoo Aftercare Products
The long list of the options on the market will make it harder for you to decide which one is the best. To make things easier, limit your choices to the following products.
Hustle Butter Deluxe Tattoo Butter
This is one product that can be used not only after getting a tattoo but even before and during the process. It makes the skin softer and it also improves the glide of the needles. After the tattoo, meanwhile, it can help to speed up the skin’s healing process. It is also well-loved by many because it is 100% vegan and cruelty-free. It also contains a blend of natural ingredients, which include coconut oil, sunflower oil, shea butter, mango butter, papaya, and coconut. They all work together to make the skin healthier, which is important for the tattoos to stand out.
Ora’s Amazing Herbal Tattoo Salve
This product does not contain lanolin and paraben, making it safe even for people with sensitive skin. It is also free of synthetics and infused with herbs. Some of the main ingredients that are used include coconut oil, rosemary oil, grapeseed oil, organic plantain, and organic thyme. As per the manufacturer, using this salve will be helpful in soothing the tattoo and providing a protective barrier that will prevent the ink from fading easily. You do not have to worry about suffering from inflammation and infection with the use of this product.
Tattoo Goo Original Aftercare Salve
This is made by one of the most trusted brands for tattoo aftercare products, so you can be confident that it will be effective. It has vitamins, herbs, and oil, which will work together to speed up the healing of the tattoo while also keeping the skin moisturized. It is approved even by dermatologists, so there is no need to worry about possible side effects. Plus, it does not contain mineral oils, lanolin, and petroleum, among other ingredients that can be harsh on the skin. Some of its main ingredients are olive oil, cocoa butter, beeswax, sunflower oil, lavender oil, and rosemary extract.
Tattoo Goo Deep Cleansing Soap
Made by the same manufacturer as the product that has been mentioned above, this is good not only for tattoos but also for piercing. It removes dead skin cells and dirt to keep the tattoo looking as good as new. It has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, which are excellent for the prevention of infection. It is also pH balanced. Unlike other soaps, it is free of harsh ingredients that could be bad for people with sensitive skin.
H2Ocean Blue Green Foam Soap
This vegan and anti-bacterial soap is another product that should be included as a part of your tattoo aftercare kit. It is a gentle wash that is effective in disinfecting the tattoo when it is new. When used daily on the part of the skin that is inked, meanwhile, it will provide moisturizing benefits. One of the main ingredients used in this product is aloe, which is popular for the prevention of skin dryness and tattoo damage. If you still have doubts, it is also good to know that this soap is FDA-approved and that it is designed even for people with sensitive skin.
Redemption Tattoo Lubricant
The manufacturer takes pride in claiming that they are the first and only petroleum replacement that is USDA-certified. It is natural, organic, and is never tested on animals. It is more than just a lubricant but also a barrier that protects the skin from possible damage, including an infection when the tattoo is just at the process of healing. Some of the main ingredients that are used in this lubricant include coconut oil, cocoa butter, castor oil, calendula oil, rosemary extract, vegetable glycerin, and beeswax.
Fisticuffs Tattoo Balm
With the use of nothing but the finest butters and oils, this is another balm that will make an excellent choice when it comes to taking care of your tattoo. It has an all-natural ingredient formula that makes it good even for people who have sensitive skin. The scent will remind you of peppermint, which makes it refreshing. Aside from protecting the skin from bacteria that could cause an infection, it also prevents damage to the tattoo that can be caused by the harsh heat of the sun.
Organic Tattoo Aftercare Balm
One of the best things about this product is the fact that it is 100% natural, which means that you do not need to worry about the presence of harsh chemicals that could cause an irritation, especially if you have sensitive skin. To be effective in protecting the tattoo, some of the main ingredients that are used in this tattoo include jojoba wax, carnauba wax, coconut oil, beeswax, and extra virgin olive oil. Lastly, to eliminate any doubts, the manufacturer is offering a 30-day money-back guarantee if in case you are unhappy in any way with the use of this product.
Viking Revolution Tattoo Balm
This is specifically formulated to heal new tattoos, preventing it from being red and swollen. It also provides the moisturizing that the skin needs for the tattoo to look good over time. Even older tattoos will be brought back to life with the use of this balm. It is made using ingredients that are gentle on the skin and it also has a vegan formulation. Unhappy with this balm? Your money does not need to go into waste. The company provides an unconditional refund if you are unsatisfied with it.
After Inked Tattoo Moisturizer and Aftercare Lotion
For a tattoo to look good, the skin needs to be hydrated. This product can do this. It functions as a daily skin moisturizer while also helping the tattoo to heal quicker. It is vegan, cruelty-free, gluten-free, and non-petroleum-based. It has also been clinically tested and approved even by dermatologists. Even if you have sensitive skin, there is no need to worry about using this product as it is hypoallergenic. The effectiveness of this product can be attributed to the use of patented ingredients, including grapeseed oil.
Saniderm Tattoo Bandage
After getting a tattoo, it is important to get a bandage, and this product is one of the best options to consider. It is going to cover the ink while it is fresh, providing protection from infection. Technically, it will remain an open wound for a couple of days, which makes it important to protect it. This bandage is also waterproof, making it easy to shower. It is a medical bandage with an antibacterial property. It is also lightweight and thin, which is good as it allows the skin to breathe.
Types of Tattoo Aftercare Products
Generally speaking, here are some of the aftercare products that you might want to consider having:
- Antibacterial Soap: An infection is one of the risks that you should avoid when the tattoo is still healing. This can be prevented if you use an antibacterial or antimicrobial soap. Especially if you have a sensitive skin, choose a soap that is free of harsh chemicals.
- Ointment: After cleaning and washing the tattoo, it is recommended that you apply a healing ointment. However, apply only a thin layer of the ointment. If you use too much, the scabs can come off earlier than expected, which can cause discoloration of the ink.
- Lotion: The right lotion will be essential in keeping the skin moisturized. However, not just any lotion will work. It is recommended that you use only fragrance-free lotions. Also, take note that it is advisable that you use a lotion only five days after being inked.
- Sunscreen: Never go out without applying a sunscreen, even when it is cloudy. The UV rays of the sun can harm the tattoo and your ink, which is why it is important to lather a layer of protection.
- Balm: It is a fragrant ointment but more solid compared to an actual ointment. It is a resinous substance that is effective in speeding up the healing process of the skin. Often, it is also called a salve.
- Bandage or Wrap: Right after getting inked, before going home, the tattoo artist will wrap the part with a tattoo. This is important to prevent getting in contact with external elements that could cause an infection. The wrap should not be too tight to allow the skin to breathe.
The Importance of Tattoo Aftercare
Aftercare is an important thing that should not be ignored by anyone who just had a tattoo. It is important for a couple of reasons, including the things that will be briefly mentioned below:
- Prevent Infection: Your tattoo will leave an open wound on the skin when it is new. This means that it can be prone to infection when it gets in contact with any source of bacteria. Paying attention to aftercare is critical to ward off anything that could infect the skin.
- Speed Up Healing: It is also going to help in the immediate repair of the skin, which will significantly lessen the recovery time. It allows the skin to recuperate quicker, basically because of the antioxidants and vitamins.
- Prevent Fading: Exposure to external elements, including the harsh heat of the sun and chemicals in water, can result in tattoo damage, especially tattoo fading. If you know how to properly take care of it, the colors will not fade over time.
Tattoo Aftercare: Dos and Don’ts
It is not enough that you use the right products to take care of your skin. Below are some of the most important things to keep in mind:
- DO NOT pick or scratch your new tattoo. At times, it can be itchy, and you will see scabs on the surface. However, you have to resist the urge to scratch it as this could be damaging for the ink. This could make the tattoo patchy. Your fingers can also transfer bacteria that could cause an infection.
- DO NOT submerge a new tattoo in water. Swimming pools use chlorine and other water treatments that could cause an infection. Seawater should also be avoided as it can be a source of bacteria. You should also limit your shower time when the tattoo has not yet fully healed.
- DO NOT expose your tattoo to the sun, even if it has healed. It is common knowledge that the sunrays can cause skin cancer. It can also damage the tattoo. Do not forget to apply a sunscreen on the tattoo. Avoid going out during the times when the sun is at its peak.
- DO wrap the tattoo on the first 24 hours. Your tattoo artist will most probably do it right after being inked. Keep this wrap on until the skin heals completely. This will also prevent the tattoo from rubbing on the other parts of the body.
- DO use a moisturizer. Among the aftercare products, this is one of the most important to have. It will keep the skin hydrated, which is also important for the tattoo to look good. Drinking plenty of water will also help to keep the skin moisturized.
- DO follow the instructions of your tattoo artists at all times. If you are unsure of what to do, do not hesitate to ask the artist. Better be safe than sorry.
Make your tattoo last longer and look better with the use of the products that have been mentioned above. They will be effective in moisturizing the skin and preventing the ink from fading. Whether in the form of lotions or oils, the right product can make a lot of difference in retaining the best looks of your tattoo.