Having oily skin means being in a constant struggle to prevent your face from looking like a glazed doughnut. You will look naturally shinier, and this is not in a good way! The T-zone and the chin will look like reflective surfaces. This can give anyone a nightmare!
People with oily skin tend to stay away from foundations because they can budge and easily fade when you sweat or when the skin becomes oily. The latter, however, is true only when you choose the wrong product. To prevent it from happening, you need to choose the best drugstore foundation for oily skin! They are easy on the wallet but highly effective!
If you have no idea on which drugstore foundation will work best for your oily skin, keep on reading and we’ll let you know some of the best products that should be on your radar.
Our Top Picks for the Best Drugstore Foundation for Oily Skin
To combat the oiliness of the skin and prevent too much shine, it is advisable that you use a foundation with a matte-finish. An oil-free formula will also be effective. If you have no idea about which to buy, below are some of the options to include on your list.
#1. Revlon ColorStay Liquid Foundation
This is a liquid foundation that is specially formulated not only for those with oily skin but even for people who have combination skin. One of the best things about this product is the long-wear formula, which allows it to stay on the skin for up to 24 hours. This is unlike others that will easily smudge or fade, especially when your skin starts to become oily. The matte finish is also great, which prevents having too much shine. It is also a good thing that it uses salicylic acid as one of its main ingredients, which makes it effective in controlling the production of oil and minimizing the appearance of the pores.
#2. L’Oréal Infallible Pro Matte Foundation
Made by another popular drugstore makeup brand, this is an oil-free liquid foundation that can effectively provide the face with an air-tight and matte finish. It is also expected to last 24 hours on the face, so there is no need to reapply throughout the day. While the formula is creamy, it is lightweight and non-greasy. Even when it is hot, you won’t feel uncomfortable. The formula is also smooth, making it glide easily on the face when applied. It can effectively smoothen the pores and hide other imperfections.
#3. Maybelline Fit Me! Matte + Poreless Liquid Foundation
You can have complete peace of mind with the use of this liquid foundation as it has been tested and approved by dermatologists. It is also proven to be safe from allergies. One of the best things about this foundation is that it fits all skin colors. As claimed by the manufacturer, regardless of your skin tone, the color will be a perfect match for your skin. To add, it comes with micro powders, which will make it effective in controlling shine throughout the day. The latter is the primary reason why it is highly recommended for people with oily skin.
#4. Milani Conceal + Perfect Foundation and Concealer
This is formulated not just for people who have oily skin. This is for all skin types. It is packed with pigments, which will help in concealing your imperfections. Using this foundation will make the skin look flawless. The best thing about this product is that it is versatile. It can function not only as a foundation but also as a concealer. This will help save space in your bag since it can be used for two purposes.
#5. COVERGIRL Advanced Radiance Age Defying Liquid Foundation
This is another affordable drugstore foundation that should be on your list if you are looking for a product that will work perfectly for your oily skin. If you want to have ageless skin, this will be an effective choice. To be specific, it will help in hiding wrinkles and fine lines, among other visible signs of skin aging. It is also long-lasting, so you can expect that your foundation will stay on even throughout the day. It contains exclusive Olay Amino-Peptide Complex, which will blend on the skin to cover imperfections.
#6. E.L.F. Flawless Finish Foundation Liquid Makeup
The main reason why we have included this on our list of recommendations is the fact that it comes with a lightweight formula. It is also oil-free, so you can be confident that it gives the skin a semi-matte finish without the shine. It also has an exceptional coverage, which is way better than what you can expect from a traditional stick foundation. It has a special formula that will be effective in the restoration of the brightness of the skin while also smoothening uneven textures. Lastly, this foundation is also cruelty-free and vegan.
#7. Rimmel Stay Matte Foundation
Get rid of the shine for up to eight hours – this is what Rimmel promises with this top-rated foundation. More than being long-lasting, it is guaranteed to make your skin smooth and flawless, effectively hiding the imperfections. It also comes in an ultra-lightweight formula, unlike others that can be too greasy on a hot day. This is in a foundation that is in the form of a liquid mousse, which will be easy to apply on the skin. Best of all, it has a non-toxic formulation, making it ideal even if you have a sensitive skin.
#8. Iman Luxury Concealing Foundation
Do not be fooled by the word luxury in the name of the product. Despite such, it is found in drugstores and it has a price that won’t hurt the wallet. More than being economical, this is an effective choice for people with oily skin. It is highly-pigmented and versatile. You can use it not only as a foundation but also as a concealer. Many people also loved it because it comes in an airless pump. When applied, it gives the skin a satin and soft finish that won’t be easily prone to shine.
#9. Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Powder Foundation
If you are looking for a classic pressed foundation, this is one product worth considering. It is a compact foundation, which makes it convenient to bring with you regardless of where you go. As for the ingredients, it uses pure and gentle minerals. The latter have been selected by dermatologists, so you can be assured your complexion will be naturally radiant. It also has antioxidants, which will make the foundation versatile for achieving different looks. Plus, the foundation won’t clog the pores, which will help prevent acne.
#10. L.A. Girl Pro Matte Foundation
This is another long-wearing foundation that will be effective even for people who have oily skin. It has a matte finish, which means that you do not have to worry that your skin will end up being shiny. More so, it is also effective minimizing fine lines and pores. The suede-like finish, meanwhile, looks natural. It is also smooth and buildable, regardless if you want to have medium or full coverage.
Choosing a Drugstore Foundation for Oily Skin
There are tons of choices for a drugstore foundation. However, keep in mind that not all of them will work for all skin types. Especially if you have oily skin, keep in mind the things that will be briefly mentioned below:
- Oil-Free Formula: One of the most important is to make sure that it does not contain oils. The oils in the foundation can make your already oily skin oilier, so it is best to make sure that it is oil-free.
- Matte Finish: The matte finish of the foundation is good because it reduces the shine, even during a hot day.
- Long-Lasting: It is also important to make sure that the foundation will be long-lasting. Those that are not specifically formulated for oily skin may easily fade once your skin starts producing excess sebum.
- Medium to Full Coverage: For a foundation that will work perfectly for oily skin, choose one that has a medium to full coverage. The latter will help to ditch the shine on your face.
- Skin Tone: Even with a foundation on your skin, you should look natural. This makes it important to choose a foundation color that will be a perfect match for your skin tone.
The Right Way to Apply a Foundation on your Oily Skin
Even if it is just a drugstore foundation, it can make you look elegant and glamorous. The secret is in its proper application, which can be accomplished by doing the following:
- Start by cleaning the skin as a part of the preparation for setting the foundation. Using a cleansing brush will also help to get rid of the oil. Washing with an exfoliating cleanser is also recommended.
- Now that your skin is clean, it’s now time to apply a moisturizer. Even if you have oily skin, a moisturizer is a must-have. To be specific, you should be using a water-based moisturizer. Choose one with at least SPF 15 for sun protection.
- Use a blotting paper to get rid of any excess oil that still remains on the skin. A clean tissue will also work.
- It will be beneficial if you will apply a makeup primer before the foundation. The primer should be made specifically for oily skin. Avoid those that are advertised as ultra-hydrating as they can only make the skin look oilier.
- Dab and blend your choice of foundation on the skin. The specific steps will depend on the type of foundation you are using. If it is liquid-based, you can use your fingertips or a makeup sponge. If it is a powder foundation, you need to have a soft brush.
- After setting the foundation, apply a translucent setting powder. This will be effective in covering up the oily portions of the skin.
- Throughout the day, make sure that you have a blotting paper with you. This will provide immediate relief from the oily parts of the face.
How to Take Care of your Oily Skin
For sure, you will agree with me when I say that oily skin can be a nightmare. However, the latter is only true if you are not aware of how to properly take care of it. That being said, below are some of the most important skin care tips to keep in mind:
- Regardless if you have oily skin or not, cleansing is not to be missed. As much as possible, do this twice a day – morning and night. This will help in minimizing the oil that makes the face greasy.
- A toner should also be a part of your daily skincare routine, as well as a moisturizer. They will help in removing the impurities left after cleansing while also hydrating the skin. Again, make sure that these products are formulated specifically for oily skin.
- Regardless of the skincare products that you are using, take the time to look at the ingredients that are used. Denatured alcohol and SD alcohol are two of the things that you should avoid. Menthol and eucalyptus should also be avoided, especially if you are prone to tingling.
- Look for a product that is advertised a non-comedogenic. The latter means that the product will not clog the pores. They can also help in controlling oiliness and the prevention of breakouts.
- See to it that you always have a handy product that can help in absorbing excess oil on the skin, such as blotting paper.
- Reducing your stress level will also be effective not only for controlling oiliness but to also have a generally healthier skin. A healthy and relaxed lifestyle will surely make you look glowing.
With the best drugstore foundations for oily skin that have been mentioned above, you will look fresh and beautiful throughout the day. Even with excess sebum production or when the weather is hot, you can expect that your foundation won’t budge. They provide an exceptional finish on the face without the glaze!