Top 8 Best Lotions for Tattoos: Reviews & Guide
MamiesSkinCare.com is reader-supported. If you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission
It is essential to take care of your tattoos so that it lasts for many years. Tattoo aftercare is more than just maintaining the ink quality. It’s also important to prevent skin infection.
The best lotion for tattoos is one of the most important products for tattoo care. We’ll help guide you through the process if you are unsure of which one to purchase.
This section will provide a quick overview of some of the best lotions for tattoos.
Dermatologist Approved Formula
Enriched With Antioxidants
Best Tattoo Lotions for Healing and Maintenance
#1. After Inked Tattoo Moisturizer and Aftercare Lotion
This tattoo lotion will work no matter if you are just getting inked or have been tattooed for a while.
Even if your tattoo has been around for a while, it provides the necessary moisture to keep it looking great.
Grape seed oil is one of the main ingredients. This natural ingredient can moisturize the skin effectively without causing any harsh side effects.
It does not contain any fragrances, parabens, or gluten. This lotion is safe for sensitive skin. This product is recommended by celebrity tattoo artists as well!
- With the power of Grapeseed oil
- Doesn’t contain any gluten and parabens
- Works great even if your tattoo is not new
- Dermatologist tested
- Safe on all skin types
- Non-petroleum based
- Recommended by world-renowned tattoo artists
#2. Tattoo Goo Original Aftercare Lotion Tube with Olive Oil
Tattoo Goo is a quick and easy way to maintain your tattoos in top condition. This tattoo lotion will accelerate the healing process and prevent side effects.
It is dermatologist-approved which will increase your confidence in the quality of the lotion.
It contains Vitamin Panthenol and Olive Oil. This lotion by tattoo goo does not contain lanolin and petroleum-based ingredients, which could cause skin irritations or damage.
- Antibacterial and antifungal ingredients
- No lanolin or petroleum in this lotion by Tattoo goo
- Accelerates healing process
- With the power of olive oil and vitamin panthenol
- Not for sensitive skin
#3. Ink by Ed Hardy Tattoo and Color Fade Moisturizer
Enriched With Antioxidants
This tattoo lotion is undoubtedly one of the most popular on the market. Just look at its ingredients.
Shea butter is one of the secrets to this product’s success. It can soften the skin with every application without making it feel greasy or sticky. Your skin will also benefit from the antioxidants in lotus extract to slow down the process of skin aging. Vitamin C and Vitamin E are also included to improve the skin’s appearance.
It contains honey and a Bourbon scent. It contains a special formula to protect and prevent tattoo colors from fading.
- Softens the skin without a greasy feel
- Increases natural protection to tattoos
- Promotes healthy skin appearance
- With Bourbon and honey scent
- Includes antioxidants to keep your skin healthy
- Contains Vitamin C and Vitamin E
- Some people don’t like its smell
#4. Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion
Power Of 6 Moisturizers
Dry skin is a common problem for many people. It can cause itching, flaking, and redness that makes you want to scratch your skin off!
Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion absorbs quickly into the skin without leaving behind an oily residue or a heavy feel.
The non-greasy formula won’t clog pores so it’s great for all skin types including dry and sensitive skin.
This Lotion contains 6 moisturizers and vitamins E & B5 to restore the skin barrier in just 1 week. It’s fragrance-free and non-greasy so you can wear it all day long!
It does not contain parabens and provides 24 hours of continuous hydration.
It is clinically tested by dermatologists and can be used on tattoos as well.
- Clinically tested by dermatologists
- Fast absorbing, lightweight body lotion
- Non-greasy and fragrance-free formula
- Stops dryness by replenishing skin with moisture for long-lasting hydration
- Enriched with Vitamins E & B5 to repair the skin barrier
- With the power of 6 moisturizers
New Formula not good as old one
#5. Lubriderm Daily Moisture Lotion
Four times more restorative power
This lotion has been included in this list because of its effectiveness and rich ingredients.
The lotion is quick to absorb and provides moisturizing benefits. It also contains Vitamin B5, an ingredient that speeds up the healing process of skin after it has been inked.
It also moisturizes skin for up to 24 hours, keeping it looking fresh throughout the day.
- Clinically proven to moisturize skin for 24 hours
- Dermatologist-recommended lotion
- Safe for all skin types
- Moisturizing and hydrating lotion designed to moisturize dry skin
- Four times more restorative power
- Allows you to get back a healthy glow with every application
- Enriched with vitamin B5
#6. Aveeno Daily Moisturizer Lotion
Moisturization Of Colloidal Oatmeal
This lotion is a great all-around product that also works well for tattoo aftercare.
This lotion contains colloidal oatmeal which improves the skin’s ability to retain moisture. It will not dry out your skin, which is crucial to maintain a tattoo’s best appearance.
This lotion can be used to protect the skin from any external elements that could cause skin problems. The lotion is non-greasy which makes it ideal during hot days.
- Provides tattoo aftercare and protection
- Non-greasy lotion that won’t clog your pores
- Colloidal oatmeal moisturizes while adding a protective thin layer to the skin
- Daily use of this product will improve the appearance of your tattoos
- silky-smooth and quickly absorbs
Some people don’t like its smell
#7. Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion
Nourishment Of Vitamins A, C, And E
A tattoo may become infected especially during the healing process. This lotion can prevent infection from ever happening. This lotion speeds up the healing process during many skin conditions, so it works even after being inked.
It contains Vitamins A, C, and E, which work together to moisturize your skin. It contains Aloe vera gel that cools the skin.
Your tattoos will look more vibrant when hydrated with this lotion!
- Prevents infection
- Moisturizes the skin
- Speeds up the skin healing process
- Nourishment of Vitamins A, C, and E
- Moisturize your ink for longer lasting vibrancy
Pump quality needs to be improved
#8. Eucerin Intensive Repair Lotion
Powered With Alpha-Hydroxy Acids
This lotion is best for people with dry and flaky skin. This lotion moisturizes, exfoliates, and conditions the skin.
It will ensure that your tattoo heals faster and makes the skin look its best. You don’t have to be concerned about the effectiveness of the lotion, as it has passed clinical testing.
It is fragrance-free, making it ideal for people with sensitive noses. Eucerin intensive repair lotion contains alpha-hydroxy acids to promote collagen production and brighten your complexion.
- Moisturizes dry skin
- Exfoliates for cleaner, better-looking skin
- Contains alpha-hydroxy acids to promote collagen production and brighten your complexion
- It will also help make your tattoo heal quickly
- Clinically tested
- Delivers 24-hour hydration
Not for sensitive skin
Benefits of Using a Tattoo Lotion
It is always wise to purchase a lotion for tattoos. Here are some benefits to using it:
- It speeds up the healing process: The lotion you choose contains ingredients that speed up the healing process.
- Protects against Infection: The lotion can speed up healing and also serve as a barrier to protect from future problems. It prevents the formation of scabs and prevents infection.
- Prevents inflammation: Inflamed skin after a tattoo is one of the most common problems. It can be prevented by using a lotion that contains grape seed oil or other anti-inflammatory ingredients.
- It will improve the appearance of your tattoo: It preserves the original colors of your tattoo, making them look fresh even after years. It also stops ink from drying out.
- It will nourish the skin: The tattoo lotion can also help to moisturize the skin. The tattoo will stand out if the skin is healthy and beautiful. The tattoo will look dull if it is damaged or too dry.
Types of Tattoo Lotions Used By Tattoo Artist
Although there will be many options on the market, that does not mean all lotions will offer the same level of effectiveness. Take into consideration the various types of lotions available when choosing your best tattoo lotion.
Specialized Tattoo Lotions
This group includes the first four products listed in this guide. These products are specifically designed for tattoos. They must be directly applied to the inked skin.
The majority of lotions are designed to moisturize the skin. They can be used in tattoos to help preserve the color and make them look great over time.
The Healing Lotion
It can also be used to treat a variety of skin conditions, including dryness and itching. Its ingredients are non-irritating and will suit people with sensitive skin.
Choosing the Best Lotion for Tattoos
What lotion is best for tattoos? This question is not easy to answer. These are the different important factors to consider to help you make the right choice.
You want to use the tattoo lotion with natural and organic ingredients that deliver the expected benefits without any side effects.
It should contain vitamins and minerals to nourish the skin and protect the tattoo. You should look for ingredients such as shea butter, coconut oil, and aloe.
Avoid lotions containing alcohol or fragrance as they can cause irritation. It should only be scented with natural fragrances.
Your skin type is also important. This is especially important if your skin is sensitive.
It is important to choose a lotion that does not contain ingredients that could cause irritation to the skin.
You can also find lotions that are specifically formulated for dry skin.
You should also ensure that the lotion does not clog your pores. This could cause a delay in the healing process.
Avoid products containing petroleum or lanolin, as these can clog pores. If the consistency of a lotion is too thick, it can cause clogging of pores as well.
Do you remember feeling sticky and gross after applying lotions on hot days? To ensure your comfort, choose a lotion that is non-greasy and non-sticky.
A tattoo lotion that has at least 50 SPF is a good choice, especially if you spend a lot of time outdoors or if your tattoo is subject to direct sunlight. This will protect your tattoo from fading and cracking.
Difference Between Tattoo Ointments and Tattoo Lotions
Two products are recommended for tattoo aftercare: lotion and ointment.
The tattoo ointment is only meant to be used for a short time. It comes in a small tube. It contains concentrated doses of vitamins and other ingredients. It is important to only use a small amount. They can also be thick.
However, tattoo lotions can be used frequently even after years for protecting tattoos. It’s used to protect and nourish the skin. It is a more long-lasting solution than ointments.
Which one should you choose? This question is not easy to answer. You can ask your tattoo artist for suggestions. It is a good idea to apply an ointment for the first few days. Afterwards for long-term care, apply a tattoo lotion.
Other Ways to Prevent Tattoo Damage
Although the use of the correct lotion can be very helpful, there are other ways to avoid the most common tattoo-related injuries.
- Get plenty of water. It is vital to hydrate your skin to maintain the appearance of your tattoo.
- You should not pick at or peel the tattoo. There will be some scabbing. Allow the scabs on the skin to remain. The tattoo will become distorted if it is not.
- Protect your tattoo from the sunlight. Avoid being exposed to the heat. Keep the tattoo covered as much as you can. Always use sunblock.
- Make sure you use the correct skincare products, particularly soaps. Avoid harsh ingredients that can cause tattoos to peel off or fade.
- For the first two weeks following inking, do not immerse yourself in the water. Waterborne microorganisms or contaminants can cause serious damage.
- Follow the instructions of the artist. When it comes to keeping your tattoo looking its best, you should always listen to the advice of experts.
The best tattoo lotion should be included in every tattoo aftercare kit. It will protect the ink and speed up the healing process.
However, not all lotions are the same. To make an informed decision that you will not regret, choose your best tattoo lotion from the products listed above.
You can check out our guide on How To Apply Lotion On A Tattoo