Taking care of a tattoo is important to keep it looking at its best through the years. More than maintaining the quality of the ink, tattoo aftercare is also important to keep the skin healthy and free from infection.
Among others, one of the most important products to have is the best lotion for tattoos. If you are clueless about which one to buy, read on and we’ll help you make the right choice!
Our Top Picks for the Best Lotion for Tattoos
This section will give you a quick look at some of the top products that should be on your radar.
#1. After Inked Tattoo Moisturizer and Aftercare Lotion
Whether you have just been inked or you already have a tattoo for some time, this is one lotion that will work. It provides the moisture that the skin needs to make the tattoo look good even if you already have it for a long time. One of its main components is grape seed oil, a natural ingredient that can effectively moisturize the skin without causing harsh effects. It is free of fragrances, parabens, gluten, and petroleum, among other toxic components. Even if you have sensitive skin, there is no need to worry when using this lotion.
#2. Tattoo Goo Original Aftercare Lotion Tube
A quick penetrating lotion, this is one of the best aftercare essentials to have to keep the tattoo in its best condition. It will speed up the healing time and will prevent the possibility of suffering from side effects. The lotion is also dermatologist-approved, which can make you more confident that it will indeed work. In terms of the ingredients used, it has vitamin panthenol and olive oil. Meanwhile, it does not contain petroleum and lanolin, among other ingredients that could harm the skin or the tattoo.
#3. Ink by Ed Hardy Tattoo and Color Fade Moisturizer
Looking at the ingredients of this tattoo lotion will easily convince you that it is one of the best products on the market. One of its secrets is shea butter, which can make the skin soft with every application in the absence of making you feel greasy or sticky. Meanwhile, with the lotus extract, your skin can enjoy the benefits of antioxidants to help slow down the aging of the skin. It also contains Vitamins C and E to make the skin look better. For the scent, it contains honey and bourbon. It has a special formulation to protect the color of the tattoo and to prevent it from fading.
#4. Ink Fixx All-Natural Tattoo Lotion
Using this water-based lotion will help to not only speed up the process of healing, but it will also be effective in preventing the tattoo from fading and peeling, among other problems that can happen over time. One of its main ingredients is oatmeal extract, which can calm the skin and prevent redness. Meanwhile, with sunflower seed oil, it can soothe dry skin and nourish the tattoo. There is also aloe, which is a natural moisturizer that is also known for its anti-inflammatory benefits. With these ingredients, you can be sure of its ability to revitalize and rejuvenate both the skin and the tattoo.
#5. Lubriderm Daily Moisture Lotion
This lotion, along with the other products that are mentioned below, has not been specifically formulated for a tattoo. Nonetheless, because of their ingredients and effectiveness, we have included them on the list. This lotion can be quickly absorbed by the skin and can effectively provide moisturizing benefits. It also contains Vitamin B5, which is an important ingredient for faster healing of the skin after being inked. It also hydrates the skin for up to 24 hours, making it look fresh even throughout the day.
#6. Aveeno Daily Moisturizer Lotion
If you want an all-around lotion that can also prove to be promising when it comes to tattoo aftercare, this is one product worth your attention. It contains colloidal oatmeal, which will improve the capability of the skin to retain moisture. This means that your skin won’t end up looking dry, which is important to keep the best appearance of the tattoo. It can also provide a protective barrier from the elements that could make the skin susceptible to problems after getting a tattoo. Lastly, the lotion is non-greasy, which makes it great for your comfort, especially during a hot day.
#7. Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion
Especially during the recovery process, the tattoo can be easily prone to infection. This lotion can help to prevent the latter from happening. It speeds up the healing of various skin problems, which is why it also works after getting inked. Plus, it contains Vitamins A, C, and E, which will work together to moisturize the skin. If the skin is hydrated, the tattoo will come to life instead of looking dull. There is aloe, which will provide a cooling effect.
#8. Eucerin Intensive Repair Lotion
If you have very dry and flaky skin, this is one lotion that will work best for you. It moisturizes, exfoliates, and conditions the skin, providing an assurance that the tattoo will heal faster while also making the skin look at its best. The lotion has been through clinical tests to prove the claims made by the manufacturer, so you do not have to worry about its effectiveness. It is also fragrance-free, which makes it great for those who have a sensitive sense of smell. However, take note that it contains alpha-hydroxy acid, which will make the skin sensitive to the sun during the course of the healing.
Benefits of Using a Lotion for your Tattoo
A lotion for a tattoo should not be seen as an unnecessary expense. Here are some of the benefits of using it:
- Speeds up the Healing Process: Depending on the lotion that you will choose, it contains ingredients that are effective in making the healing process quicker.
- Protects from Infection: Aside from speeding up healing, the lotion can also provide a protective barrier to prevent problems. It also stops the formation of scabs.
- Prevents Inflammation: An inflamed skin is one of the most common problems after getting a tattoo. A lotion that contains grape seed oil and other inflammatory ingredients will be effective in its prevention.
- Improves Appearance: If you are concerned about the aesthetics of your tattoo, using the right lotion will help. It is effective in preserving the natural colors of the tattoo, making it look as good as new even after several years. It prevents the ink from fading.
- Nourishes the Skin: The tattoo lotion will also be effective in making the skin nourished and hydrated. When the skin looks good, the tattoo will stand out. On the other hand, when the skin is dry and damaged, the tattoo will look dull.
Types of Lotions for Tattoos
While the market will have an abundance of options, this does not go to say that all lotions will deliver the same level of effectiveness. When choosing, take note of the different types available:
- Specialized Tattoo Lotions: The first four products mentioned in this guide belong to this group. They have been formulated specifically for tattoos. Hence, they have to be applied directly to the potion of the skin that is inked.
- Moisturizing Lotion: Most of the lotions are made to moisturize the skin. They can also help in tattoos to preserve the color and to make them look good even through the years.
- Healing Lotion: It is also a general type of lotion with the main purpose of healing various skin problems, such as dryness and itchiness. Most have ingredients that are non-irritating, which will be perfect for people with sensitive skin.
Choosing the Best Lotion for Tattoos
What is the best lotion to use for a tattoo? There is no single answer to this question. However, to help you make the right decision, here are some of the most important things to take into consideration.
- Ingredients: The tattoo lotion should contain natural and organic ingredients, which can deliver the anticipated benefits of use without the side effects. It should also contain vitamins and minerals that can nourish the skin while also protecting the tattoo. Coconut oil, shea butter, and aloe are some of the ingredients that you should watch out for. Lotions with alcohol and fragrance should also be avoided as they can cause irritation. If ever it is scented, it should use natural fragrances.
- Skin Type: Your skin type will also be an important consideration. This is especially true if you have sensitive skin. You have to be more careful when choosing a lotion to be sure that it does not contain ingredients that will irritate the skin. There are also lotions that are formulated specifically for those who have dry skin.
- Non-Comedogenic: It is also important that you choose a lotion that does not clog the pores. Otherwise, this could be one of the reasons for the delay in the healing process. You should also avoid those with petroleum and lanolin as they can also clog the pores. Lotions that are too thick are usually the ones that can result in clogging.
- Non-Sticky: Have you ever applied a lotion and you felt sticky and gross during a hot day, especially when you sweat? Choose a lotion that is non-greasy and non-sticky to be assured of your comfort.
- Sun Protection: You will benefit from choosing a tattoo lotion with at least SPF 50, especially if you are always outdoors and if the tattoo is exposed to the heat of the sun. This will prevent fading and cracking.
Difference Between Tattoo Ointments and Lotions
When it comes to tattoo aftercare, there are basically two products that will be recommended – ointment and lotion.
Basically, the tattoo ointment will be used only for a few days, which is why it exists mostly in the form of a small tube. The dosage of the vitamins and other ingredients is usually concentrated. You have to apply only a small amount. They are also thick.
Lotions, on the other hand, can be used regularly, even after years of protecting the tattoo. It is applied to protect the tattoo and to nourish the skin. It provides a longer-term solution compared to ointments.
So, which one should you use? There is no definitive answer to this question. Your tattoo artist can provide recommendations. However, a good practice to follow is to use an ointment during the first few days. Once it has healed, use a lotion for long-term tattoo care.
Other Ways to Prevent Tattoo Damage
While using the right lotion can indeed be a lot of help, here are other ways by which it will be possible to prevent the most common damages that could happen to a tattoo:
- Drink lots of water. Hydration is important to keep the skin moisturized, which will help to preserve the appearance of the tattoo.
- Do not pick or peel the tattoo. It is natural that there will be scabbing. Allow the scabs to stay on the skin. Otherwise, the tattoo will be messed up.
- Protect the tattoo from the sun. Do not hang out under the scorching heat. As much as possible, keep the tattoo covered. Always wear sunblock.
- Use the right skincare products, especially soaps. They should be free of harsh ingredients that could cause the tattoo to peel or fade.
- Do not submerge in the water for the first two weeks after being inked. Microorganisms and contaminants in the water can lead to serious damage.
- Always follow the directions from the artist. Trust the opinions of the experts when it comes to how you can keep the best looks of your tattoo.
In sum, the best lotion for tattoos is an indispensable item in an aftercare kit. It will keep the ink looking at its best while also helping to speed up the healing process. Nonetheless, take note that not all lotions are created the same. Keep an eye on the products mentioned above to make a decision you won’t regret!